Saturday 25 July 2015

Another weekend, another festival!

This weekend I'm staying close to home in order to experience Tramlines. Billed as the UK's largest Urban Music festival 100,000 people are expected to descend on Sheffield for music across 20 plus venues including the strong fringe element in bars, pubs and on the streets.

Being basically non-residential and with tickets one-tenth of  the price of Latitude, I am expecting quite a different feel to last week's festival. Yet I'm sure there will be common ground.

I shall be staying in an hotel on Saturday night so I can get the best snapshot possible of what goes on throughout the weekend.

As I prepare I'll be reflecting on some more words from Marsh and Roberts (sorry if I referred to Vaughan Roberts as Vaughan earlier!):

'Music, ritual and worship share a great deal of common ground in that they (1) help us to shape self-identity, (2) assist in the organisation of communal life, and  (3) allow humans to experience alternate states of being' They go on to illustrate how these three exist in tension.

We shall see...

No comments:

Post a Comment