Tuesday 14 July 2015

Getting Ready!

Having returned from a mixed few days in Essex and Derby, visiting  frail in-laws and 'babysitting' (although not supposed to use that term) pre-school granddaughters there's something in the contrasts of life!

Today it’s about getting ready. Latitude festival at the weekend is probably the centre piece of my sabbatical although early on in terms of weeks. Prayerful preparation that I will go with open hearts and eyes and remember why I am there.

Another book arrived today 'Personal Jesus: how popular music shapes our souls' Clive Marsh and Vaughan Roberts. Looking good :'it explores the theological significance of the ways pop music is listened to and used today... used by religious and non-religious people alike to make meaning, enabling us to explore human concerns about embodiment, create communities, and tap into transcendence'

Viz, two examples of lyrics of bands appearing at the weekend;

'I'm holy and I want you to know it
you’re all I need to survive
blind devotion
I’m holy and I want you to know it
And you'll be my sacrifice

'Worship' - Years and Years

They go to heaven on their holidays
The congregation hopes and prays
They leave their letters in the mail box
For lonely souls they could not save

‘Soldier boys and Jesus Freaks’ - Noel Gallagher


No comments:

Post a Comment