Wednesday 2 September 2015

Festival Reflections 3 – Greenbelt





 ABOUT GREENBELT
The Twitter intro says it all: ‘Engaged with culture, inspired by the arts, sustained by faith, we aspire to be an open, generous community’

Established for over 40 years Greenbelt has a real sense of community – people meet up at the festival and maintain contact all year round. I went  alone but wasn’t on my own; I met up with friends from Sheffield and beyond and shared experiences along the way. Everywhere you went there were people willing to engage in conversation and freindly greetings.

Like Latitude, it is much more than a music festival with poetry, performing arts, discussion and debate on offer across the various site venues. Unlike Latitude, it is propelled by recognition of ‘the other’ with a strong emphasis on Christianity but representatives of other faiths and belief systems alongside. (It was actually more ‘Christian’ than I had expected)

Greenbelt moved to its present home, Boughton House Kettering two years ago and this was clearly a wrench for some. The general view I heard was that this had been a good move as the picturesque grounds add something to the sense of awe that pervades the festival in sunshine and rain (we had both)
 
MY GREENBELT
I knew from others (and experience of other events) that you must beware festival fatigue. I therefore took a conscious decision to focus on events that resonated with my theme of spirituality in popular culture. It’s only when I returned home that I had a sense of all that I had missed in the other parts of the festival but there just isn’t enough time to do everything! And having decided to merge with a trip to Fusion (see earlier blog) I had to keep focussed. So perhaps I’ll go again in the future maybe even for a day to catch some other strands of the numerous experiences on offer.

So I saw Madeline Bunting on Mindfulness (see earlier), Dave Andrews on the Jihad of Jesus (how Christians and Muslims can share their understanding of who Jesus is), Making Faces theatre group on 11 things to do before I die, Joanna Jepson (Chaplain to fashion industry) on that industry’s power, Paula Gooder on Seeing God in the Everyday, Kate Bottley – Gogglebox Vicar on media, Steve Chalke on Being human. Other snippets throughout the weekend such as a debate on Christians in politics, fire show, the right to offend and much more besides.

Music acts included Josephine, Duke Special, Speak Brother, Worry Dolls, Martyn Joseph, Iain Archer, Danni Nicholls, Sam Brooks and the Unthanks. There was a folk/country theme in many acts with soul, indie and pop as well. Not all songs were faith based by any means but there were positive words about  love and hope to be found as well as strong messages about social justice and equality.

Sunday morning was communion celebrated by two women Bishops (including +Libby) and led by members of two rural religious communities. The theme was about relationships between humans and all creation and the importance of seeing the created order as part of God’s purposes and not a commodity to be used by humankind. Good spirit present but a shame that there wasn’t much contemporary music (and in some cases language)

GREENBELT WORLDVIEW
Arts, faith, culture as it says. There was a strong leaning towards social justice with talks about migrant/refugee issues, ISIS, austerity, poverty, politics. Also a very present green thread in the ethical outlets, presentations and the presence of forest church. I had a brief chat with someone about this movement but unfortunately didn’t have much time to explore. My conversation picked up a fascinating Gaia/ Pagan/Christian connection.

Christian Aid. Embrace, Liveability and many other relief, support and educational charities were present in the well-resourced exhibition centre ‘G-Source’ and this was matched by a comprehensively stocked bookshop. (I resisted!)  

The communion service summed up the worldview very well by focussing on the fact that we are all connected as humans, as people of faith and as the created.



GOD AT GREENBELT
Yes of course!

From the sessions I attended and casual conversations, my sense is that those at Greenbelt were very much alive to the reality of God existing outside the church! I have commented on Madeline Bunting’s dissatisfaction with organised religion and her incredulity that compassion can be found within Christianity. But this was a theme I encountered elsewhere. Dave Andrews suggested that Christianity had got in the way of people finding Jesus (he never wanted to found a religion), Steve Chalke contrasted the fruits of spirit with the dominant Greek world view which was more about power than love – yet that is often where the church is today. Paula Gooder challenged her audience to recognise God at work wherever God’s characteristics are seen at work (in love, bringing new life, hope etc.) Finding God in the unexpected (where have I seen that before?)

 
Setting this alongside some of my reading and other festival reflections, it affirms for me the importance of church connecting with culture and offering an alternative to the negative narrative of judgementalism, bigotry, homophobia, misogyny and abuse that often populates the media and seeps into current thinking. Greenbelt and so many other places of living faith demonstrate that this is just not the universal case!



I am sure that many Greenbelters are regular church member (I certainly bumped into a number) but from brief chats around the site, my sense is that others are more on the fringes, maybe those dissatisfied with traditional church who are part of other Jesus/God centred movements or even those who rely on this annual event for their primary spiritual input. Greenbelt certainly strives (and succeeds) to equip people of faith in their daily lives but I guess it doesn’t set out to be a para church!


FINALLY

I feel that that I shall continue to draw on the resources of Greenbelt for some time in a way that perhaps I am not doing for the other festivals.  

I realise that when I read back much of what I have written (and even more of what’s in my mind) it comes out a being very negative about the Church. Yet this beautiful creation is the Bride of Christ. Greenbelt is the church! New shoots of Christian community are the church! I have a role (roles) in the church! We need to break out of institutionalised thinking!

No comments:

Post a Comment