Tuesday 8 September 2015

Festival Reflections No. 6




Should anyone have been meticulously following these blogs (as if!) they will think they’ve caught me out! The last reflection was number 3 so what happened to 4 and 5?  Well, No 6 was the title of the festival that I’ve just attended in the grounds of Portmerion Village North Wales. Number 6 as everyone must surely know was the number allocated to the Patrick McGoohan character in the 1960s cult TV series ‘The Prisoner’ set in the village (more of that later). 

As mentioned in the last blog, I prepared for this festival with a degree of ambivalence, reflecting upon national and international events, a refugee crisis and terrorism threat (which has got even worse - as I write this on the morning we learned about a drone attack in Syria which killed two British citizens- turned ISIS fighters). However my subject is my subject. Popular culture shouldn’t be separated from wider issues of the world. Indeed at various points these situations were brought home to me – in the experience of being a stranger amongst so many Welsh speakers, in the (very minor) irritation of coping with a damp tent and in keeping abreast of the news. There were also collecting points for those in need throughout the festival. So on we go….
 
ABOUT FESTIVAL NUMBER SIX. /WORLDVIEW
Now in its fourth year, it claims to be ‘A festival unique, unlike any other; in a place like any other.’ True! The ‘boutique’ nature of No6 limits the size to around 15,000. Like Latitude and Greenbelt, it bills itself as an arts festival. There are live music and DJ stages scattered throughout the village and surrounding areas but also poetry reading, comedy, talks, films, discussions, street theatre and all sorts of unexpected happenings! Children are catered for in their own area and many came with parents to the various activities. There were fewer school age children, this being the first week of school for many. Whilst the bands generally were not from the TUPF (Topping Up their Pension Fund) bracket, quite a large number of festival goers were from the SUPF (Spending Up the Pension Fund) bracket)! So I didn’t feel out place!

This is the blurb from the festival website which sums it up better than I can:

Welcome to a festival like no other, in the most stunning festival setting in the world.
The picturesque Italiante village of Portmeirion is our home, and was the original inspiration behind our desire to create a new type of festival. Arriving in Portmeirion for the first time it’s easy to feel overwhelmed… surrounded by sub-tropical vegetation and surreal Mediterranean architecture, there is a distinct sense of being somewhere serene, spiritual and very, very special.  (Note the use of ‘spiritual’)

Headline acts tended to eschew the big crowd-pleasers (I had wondered if this was to do with money….) in favour of the quirky, so we had Metronomy (electro-pop). Belle; and Sebastian (blending electro-glide baroque balladry with giant sized European-hooks - unique and unpredictable;  and Grace Jones (multi-sensory assault of disco, pop and punk and everything in between). I’m quoting the programme here of course; even I couldn’t be that pretentious!

There were plenty of other acts to enjoy; a real eclectic mix from string quartet to hip-hop; male voice choir to disco; folk to techno and everything between and beyond.  One of the sheer delights was just walking around the site, through the village and into the woods and experiencing different musical genres at every point; often finding them merging into one wall of sound. For eclectic music lovers (a group into which I dare to place myself) it was quite magical (yes! I use that word with care).

MY No.6
As suggested above, I had a listen to most things. I counted up 20 bands and 12 other performances. Highlights included James Bay,  Belle and Sebastian, Gaz Coomes, Rae Morris, Slow Club, Ghostpoet and the Gypsies of Bohemia (look them up!) and the stunning spectacle of 60 strong Brythonaid Welsh Male Voice Choir singing traditional Welsh anthems as well as songs by New Order, Happy Mondays and Elbow (see later for a spiritual note).      Street parades and entertainers were also captivating. And for the first time,  in my 60th year I went clubbing! That deserves a blog of its own.

Probably my least enjoyable camping experience, on a slope, noisy field and poor sanitation but as I mentioned above NOTHING compare with what many are enduring day after day.

A word about food. No 6 prides itself on the range of cuisine on site. There are Michelin star long-table banquets as well as permanent Portmeirion hotel restaurants. I stuck with the equally appealing range of street food on offer. All the festivals I have attended have had really good, varied world cuisine available for reasonable prices. There must be a whole industry out there supplying such events with cuisine from Mexico, France, USA, Vietnam, Spain, Italy, Thailand, India and of course UK….. The list goes on.

Another unexpected feature of No6 is the space. It was quite possible to escape the crowds and go for a walk in the woods or on the beach and see no one else. I was thus able to go for a prayerful walk through the woods on Sunday afternoon.

A few other reflections: this was very much a Welsh festival. Forgive my English chauvinism but I hadn’t really appreciated just how important the Welsh language is. I have driven through the country and seen bi-lingual signs without really giving second thought. However No6 deliberately sets out to showcase Welsh acts and attract local people and many of them are Welsh speakers. So often I was surrounded groups of people speaking a language I couldn’t understand. As mentioned this made me reflect on being a stranger and sojourner. There was also a contingent of Scots, equally proud of their flag and heritage. The English flag is sadly often seen as a symbol of narrow-minded nationalism. I felt a pang of envy; it’s hard to imagine how ‘Englishness’ can be turned into a positive ethnic identity.

Then costumes. No6 makes a big thing about getting people to dress up. Many had glitter face paints but quite a number of festival goers donned complete outfits – everything from animal onesies to Red Indian chiefs, harlequins to matadors. There were at times resonances of an exuberant Gay Pride march.

And movement. At all the festival music events without exception there is constant movement. This initiaqlly took me by surprise. People are coming and going, edging farther toward the front; sometimes a snake-like procession of dancers holding hands weaves itself through ever-decreasing spaces to get closer to the front; there is often conversation and beer-drinking going on all around; people vote with their feet if a particular act doesn’t appeal, knowing that there is a different experience to be had on the other side of the field. How different from the experience offered in most church services! (Maybe that’s an unfair comparison; you wouldn’t expect such behaviour at classical concerts, theatre or lectures.)

Then of course there was ‘The Prisoner’ I have been an avid watcher of the series whenever it has appeared on TV. It’s the story of an unnamed secret agent who resigns his commission, returns home and prepares to leave the country, falls asleep then wakes up in his bedroom that has been mysteriously transported to a strange Village. The agent is given number and warned that the village authorities want to extract information from him. The series which becomes ever more surreal as it goes on, shows the various attempts made by the village authorities -embodied in its constantly changing leader, number 2-  to extract information and no6’s various foiled attempts to escape. He strives to express his individualism amidst the cloying niceness of village residents who all seem content with their numerical lots in life. His trademark slogans ‘I am not a number I am a free man’ and ‘ I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own!’ say much to 21st century Cameron-land about the quest for identity and individualism. I’ll ponder on that a bit more when I reflect on my clubbing experience.

There were two performances of a Prisoner ‘3D Immersive’ with actors, music and various reinactments from the TV show. Great fun and some serious messages. I was captivated (excuse the pun!) to be spending time in No6’s very own Village. (Yes, I admit to being sad!)

GOD AT NUMBER 6
A reminder that the festival itself claims:  there is a distinct sense of being somewhere serene, spiritual. There was a Spiritual thread with ‘Yoga, Sacred Female Space, Earth, dance, windflow and Cacao ceremonies’ on offer. (No I didn’t)  Interestingly the architect of the Portmeirion Clough Williams-Ellis made a point of excluding a religious building. Although the village included a cupola and he was asked by various denominations to have the church consecrated, he refused. Having asked Bertrand Russell to lay the foundation stone, he felt this would be hypocritical!  So Portmeirion is essentially a secular domain.
 
There were no Street Pastors or Samaritans present this time.


However God can be found where God is sought and I did experience God’s presence at various points:


*As mentioned in the solitary prayerful walk, enjoying the beauty of the woods, sea and mountains.

*In conversations. I found this was one of the friendliest festivals I had attended. A couple of conversations backed up the ‘Spiritual dimension’ because people recognise that the music, the atmosphere, surroundings and village itself merge to give one a sense of ‘something beyond’

*In life affirming song lyrics.

*Specifically when the Male Voice Choir sung ‘Amen/This little light’ to rapturous applause and cheering. Immediately afterwards, a woman from the crowd asked the conductor to announce that she had received a proposal of marriage (during this song?)

* In a flier handed out to all festival goers by a DJ/rave/dance collective which included ‘A universal prayer’ with a direct quote from Genesis 1

* When standing in the middle of the arena with three different styles of music being played, people enjoying the experience, lights, costumes and celebration. Incarnation!

FINALLY
Yes, this is my final festival. So much to think about. I estimate that something in the order of at least  500.000 people must attend festivals each year in the UK then there are thousands of staff. I have glimpsed something of what draws them. I think I can learn from the experience as can the church. I am sure we know a God who loves Festivals – the Bible is full of them; occasions when people gather and enjoy one another’s company, rediscover  themselves, give thanks, eat and drink together and celebrate the presence of the Divine in their midst. More thinking and reflecting to be done… (More research and writing????)

During my Sabbatical I have had to be reminded that this is primarily a gift to equip me as a follower of Jesus Christ which may in turn help my ministry. The temptation so often is to reflect on where the church is now and what needs to be done and then so often to feel powerless to make any changes. However as I draw these festival reflections to a close I must record something that I read whilst at No6 and it chimed with me although coming from a very unexpected place and from someone who I would never normally wish to quote or be openly in agreement with. However in an article about the Queen’s 63 year reign in The Independent on Sunday (sorry I don’t have the writer’s details) David Cameron (no less) is quoted – he has written a preface to a book about this long reign:

In the 1950s, it might be hard to imagine, but the UK has become a country where a woman can become Prime Minister; where gay people can get married […] In just 60 years we have made huge progress in building a multi-racial, multi-faith democracy.’

That’s the world in which today’s UK church exists. This is our context. Those festival goers with their quest for shared experience and identity, their  pick and mix approach and openness to something intangibly spiritual, symbolise the world of popular culture which is so often outside the walls of our churches; however they are the people that God loves as much as regular pew-sitters. The challenge is for us to wake up to the reality of that permanent change, to celebrate it and express God’s love within it.

I’ll leave the last word to a woman in the 7.00 am Monday morning queue for the bus to get back to the car park. As her friend was wiping away the last traces of glitter facepaint, she sighed ‘Ah well, back to normal now’


Or is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment