Wednesday 26 August 2015

Another urban walk

Revelation 22:1-2 NIV
Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, as clear as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb [2] down the middle of the great street of the city. On each side of the river stood the tree of life, bearing twelve crops of fruit, yielding its fruit every month. And the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations.

Today I followed the Sheaf River walk and part of Sheffield Round walk via Ecclesall woods to Whirlow. This was the first time I'd stuck to the actual route which zig zags either side of the Sheaf. Beginning at Granville Square the route follows the river through polluted, graffiti covered urban cityscape , past retail and commercial premises to the more orderd suburban Millhouses Park. 

Yet the same water flows throughout, just as the river of God and the Church of Christ flow throughout history and every aspect  of creation bringing life. 

Again I was struck by the unexpected. I probably drive the roads either side of the Sheaf most days however today I saw sights that were new to me including a crown of thorns in Heeley People's Park,  Two challenging skeletons adjacent to Virgin Gym and a hidden pool in Ecclesall woods. See pictures below.  I was also surprised to see a reminder of God the Father only to discover that the Father's heart is nothing more, or less than a kitchen showroom! 

I've also started reading 'The shaping of things to come' by Michael Frost and Alan Hirsch. The writers challenge the church to leave behind the Christemdom model and return to the vision of the early church. Chiming directly with my theme they ask:'what has God called us to be and do in our current cultural contect'Spot on! 

They predict that the days of the static,  rooted  institutionalised church are numbered.  People are searching for something that is relational. They call for us to become transformative subversive  missionary  innovative and imaginative. Much to ponder on in the days ahead as I continue my encounter with spirituality in popular culture and start to reflect on how this sabbatical experience will speak to my discipleship  ministry and Superintendency. 








No comments:

Post a Comment